Wednesday, October 10, 2007

NY Times artice with Halo 3 and churches...



Thanks to Steven for this article:

Thou Shalt Not Kill, Except in a Popular Video Game at Church



What really amazes me is that the article seems to be saying, "See look not even the Christians can keep what they say they should". But of course, look who they interview. The second page is a little more balanced, but the authors words seem to resemble the ultra conservative words more than then the youth leader's words, heh heh...

Anyway... what do you think? Do you think that Christians need to be able to know what is of God and what is not, but also, stop being offended by everything and start loving the people of this world, who do not look, act, and talk like you?

If you are a Christian does your love for other people outweigh your being offended? (not just mature rated games but rated R movies, or people that cuss, or people who do drugs, or dress in all black, or are illegal immigrants, or not mentally well, etc...) Where does the cost of crossing over "the line" motived by love start?

Oh and did anyone see this amazing grenade toss in Halo 3?

4 comments:

Nate said...

Hmmm.... I don't know what i'm more turned off by. violence used as "bait" or the fact that the youth minister objectified youth that visit his church.

Obviously i'm more offended by the way the youth pastor was quoted. I'm with the guy who said, "i'm just shooting pixels on a screen, it's not like i'm putting a pistol to somebody's head." DUH!!

I wish I had the resources to pull off a HALO night. I think that would be awesome. I talked to the pastor the other day about doing a guitar hero/concert night at the church. He was up for that. I think we do need to be creative with the way we reach out to youth. ONe of the best ways to do that is by using what's going on culturally.

Anonymous said...

i'll be hosting a halo night at my apt. soon. we may even use a projector. cool. also, did you throw that grenade? if so, teach me how to do that. i really stink at this game. i need help.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm more offended by vulgarity in any form, but I certainly have tolerated lots of it in my time. Love, Mom

DGH said...

Nate:

yeah agree...and I think there is a huge avenue for Wii sports tournements!!! Big time!!!

yeah josh, that was an awesome toss, but no, I was not the lucky one, but if you come over to my house I can try to help as much as I can...there are far better other players out there, but it sure is fun playing together!

Thanks Mom!