Thursday, October 18, 2007

Emergent email article...

I received an email from Emergent the other day and it had a quote from an interview Brad Pitt did with Bishop Desmond Tutu... I just wanted to share it with yall....

The interview starts with Tutu explaining the
African concept of ubuntu...

Brad Pitt: What is this concept of
ubuntu I keep reading about?

Tutu: "Ubuntu is the essence of
being human [...] we say a person is a person
through other persons. You can't be a human
in isolation. You are human only in
relationships. [...] So we say that 'I need
you to be all of who you are in order for me
to be all that I am.' Because no human being
is totally self-sufficient. In fact, a
self-sufficient human being is subhuman."
[...] If you want to be human, we are not
going to be able to be human in isolation.
It will be that we are human together."


What do you think about this understanding of "Ubuntu"?

oh and yes, this just so happens to be a Linux operating system as well, heh ... never knew the history behind the word, and what an awesome name sake for an open source operating system!

5 comments:

Tarobot said...

Being an extrovert who enjoys the group culture of Japan, I am highly partial to this way of thinking. My favorite bible trivia is the first thing God ever says is NOT good is man being alone. (Genesis 2:18) Ubuntu is close to my heart.

Arch said...

what did Pitt have to say?

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine out here is reading a book that claims that selfishness is the highest virtue because when you help yourself you also end up helping others. I wonder what Tutu would say to that...

DGH said...

Greg: yeah I agree!

Arch: I am not sure the entire article is in the link in the post...go check it out...oh and Congrats on becoming a Daddy! Love ya man!

Markus: I think he would say that is crap....oh and I would say the same thing, heh.

Anonymous said...

What a profound statement. It's a reminder to even introverts that God has an interconnectedness that only he and his people can provide. Love, mom