Thursday, July 15, 2004

Isaiah 28:14-18 and Psalm 32

Did you ever have a hiding place?



I am blessed to be able to say that I really don't remember a good Hiding place in my own home. I guess the closes thing I could think of was my closet. The attic was too hard and scary to get to, and the opening under the carpet in my parents closet was just dirty (and I just knew there was a snake under there) so those would NEVER make good hiding places. Because hiding places are supposed to be safe places, not scary or hard to get to. It is a place that you know exactly where to go to, in ANY event, tornado, mad brother, or a friend trying to find you, you knew almost by instinct where to go and exactly how to get there the fastest way. I know that I think of hiding places as place I go to for safety and comfort! And I think that Isaiah and David were saying the same thing in these two verses:

Isaiah 28:14-18
14 Therefore hear the word of the LORD, you scoffers who rule this people in Jerusalem. 15 Because you have said, "We have made a covenant with death, and with Sheol we have an agreement; when the overwhelming scourge passes through it will not come to us; for we have made lies our refuge, and in falsehood we have taken shelter"; 16 therefore thus says the Lord GOD, See, I am laying in Zion a foundation stone, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone, a sure foundation: "One who trusts will not panic." 17 And I will make justice the line, and righteousness the plummet; hail will sweep away the refuge of lies, and waters will overwhelm the shelter. 18 Then your covenant with death will be annulled, and your agreement with Sheol will not stand; when the overwhelming scourge passes through you will be beaten down by it.

See sadly we make our shelter and refuge in this world one that is full of falsehood (yep even that little tinne winnie white lie) These are the places we turn to when we are in trouble or have done wrong against someone. We make up a simple excuse: no one would ever need to know the truth. We tend to make decisions based on how other people will think about us, instead of how God will think about us. Where do you find your hiding place with the rubber meets the road? You better look out though...because God will pelt your refuge with hail, and you shelter with hail. Then you will no longer be subject to hades, because he will remind you of where your shelter and refuge...your hiding place should be in Him and only in Him. (and there aint no hail or high water that is going to take out that shelter, heh)

Now, what does David the author of this Psalm say?

Psalm 32:1-11
1 Happy are those whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. 2 Happy are those to whom the LORD imputes no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit. 3 While I kept silence, my body wasted away through my groaning all day long. 4 For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer. Selah 5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not hide my iniquity; I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD," and you forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah 6 Therefore let all who are faithful offer prayer to you; at a time of distress, the rush of mighty waters shall not reach them. 7 You are a hiding place for me; you preserve me from trouble; you surround me with glad cries of deliverance. Selah 8 I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you. 9 Do not be like a horse or a mule, without understanding, whose temper must be curbed with bit and bridle, else it will not stay near you. 10 Many are the torments of the wicked, but steadfast love surrounds those who trust in the LORD. 11 Be glad in the LORD and rejoice, O righteous, and shout for joy, all you upright in heart.

David knew exactly what he was talking about. David knew what a hiding place looked like and David knew that he and all of us must find out place of comfort and safety (our hiding place).....in God. God is who we turn to in the midst of strife, and hardships. God is who we lean upon when the world around us seems like it is closing in on us and searching us out with temptations, pain, and discord! It is God that is our refuge, not anything or anyone else can fill us with true peace, comfort, safety, and love. Nothing else..only God. I pray today that you all can come to know this hiding place, and go deeper into this hiding place! I promise you will find that it is a place that you can not live your life until you spend more and more of your time there with God...in relationship with God.

You know the funny thing about his hiding place is that God is telling you to bring a friend in there with you, heh. Do you need to spend more time with God? Do you need to share about your hiding place with others and invite them to join you in your "hiding"? Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Jay update:

I called Jay today and the mucus problem has hit with full force. He has sores all over his mouth and throat. It was hurting him so bad that he had to get off the phone to rest his mouth. So, the chemo side-effects are starting to hit. He said he felt OK, but the mucus thing was really hurting. So now is the time to really get the prayers up and going. Thank you for all of your prayers and know I and Jay and Sheila love you! KUTP!!!

Have a good night yall!

No comments: