Monday, August 27, 2007

Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer...




I am reading this classic right now by Dietrich Bonhoeffer and here is a thoughtful quote that I mentioned in my own way yesterday in church during the announcements, but I think he says it better:

"Only he who gives things for little things receives the big things. We prevent God from giving us the great spiritual gifts He has in store for us, because we do not give things for daily gifts. We think we dare not be satisfied with the small measure of Spiritual knowledge, experience, and love that has been given to us, and that we must constantly be looking forward eagerly for the highest good.....How can God entrust great things to one who will not thankfully receive from Him the little things?" Bonhoeffer, "Life Together:The Classic Exploration of Faith in Community", page 29

This reminds me of Brother Lawrence's "Practicing The Presence of God", as well, being so thankful in the little things in life, and while the rest of the world may not think that he received great things, I have a feeling that in his life he received GREAT things.

I know that for Bonhoeffer, when he wrote Life Together he was a part of a underground Seminary training young Pastors (or I would say, "desiring to go deeper disciples") right in the middle of the Nazis. I can only imagine how thankful he was for his community, and the little things, and later one it served him well to be thankful for the small things, because that might have been what kept him going while serving God in the prisons in Germany. I know it looks to be that way for John in Revelation, and Paul when they were in prisons.

Sometimes it is in the difficulties in life and especially in the difficulties in community/church in which when we live into the thanksgiving of the small that God shows us the great right in front of us!

Thank you God for the little things, clothes, health, community, and even disagreements when ever they arise, for it is in our thanks you can work in and through us!

My life is yours, and so is the life of community and relationships you have placed me a part of!

BTW: my own way of saying "be thankful in the little things" was my request for the church to take tie out of their lives this week, look up @ the clouds and tell God what they look like and thank Him for them!...here is something to get you started:

Travel to Livingston

1 comment:

DGH said...

I see a comma, a beetle, the wing of a bird, and a big fluffy hand with only three fingers.