Monday, May 21, 2007

a comment....



Here is a recent comment I left on the deep church blog:

It is interesting that i just heard a pod/net cast from Wired parish of an interview with Peter Rollins (his blog is here)(northern Ireland) author of the new book, “How (not) To Speak Of God”. And in the podcast he talks about being in Geneva last year at some square in the city. At one end of the square there is this great church…the church of St. Peter: a symbol of the institution, creeds, doctrine, and tradition of Christianity. But on the other side of the square was a statue of Jeremiah who was turning away from the church in shame and disgust……and when one stands in the center of the square, one must ask yourself, “whom do I run too?”


It is in this center that we find ourselves in as pilgrims in this current age.

This is why I find myself drawn to deep church. It is wiling to not just stand in the center, but passionate about living there, growing there, and encouraging the universal church to struggle in that place.


Any thoughts?

7 comments:

Nate said...

I too long for a deep church. I want a church that will challenge be to live in the lap of the Lord, so close that you can smell his breath and know what he had for lunch.

I feel like Jeremiah so much of the time that I forget to live in the middle like you were talking about. I think we (the Church Universal) are so polarized on this issue. We are either turning away in disgust or living so much in the past that we have no relevancy.

I guess my question is how do we make a change without doing it for changes sake? How do we make a difference in a world that doesn't seem to really care? How do we as ministers (and we are all called as ministers if we claim Jesus as Lord), make church relevant to this uninterested world?

Along with all that... my struggle has also been living close to God in my good times. I've been struggling lately and feel closer to God than ever, but the other day I realized this happens alot. Why can't we be just as close in the good times? My challenge to myself is to do that when I get out of this funk.

Sorry for the rambling!!!

+ Alan said...

My eyes are drawn more back to that beautiful edifice than they have been in a while. I've felt the disgust for sure. I think, in recent times, I've been remembering my love.

Josh Cashion said...

its a good place to be. we live in weird times too. there's been a "revival" of traditions that i have been a part of, and there's also been a pulling away from traditions. we need to find that balance and resist the temptation to toss it all out and start over. we can find some good in the old.

Markus Watson said...

Yeah, it's a tough place to be, loving the church but being frustrated with it. While I'm drawn to what I guess would be called "deep church," it seems like God is keeping me in a more "traditional" place. I think maybe God's call to me is to help people transition to deep church without them really realizing that's what's happening...

Anonymous said...

The traditional church is still the best place to build a better "remodeled" sturcture. I think people in the traditional church want to just know how to reach out and be a better church for everyone. There is always hope and strength in incorporating the older and the newer views of reaching out out through the church. We are all still in God's spirit and we must adapt to live with him in us.

DGH said...

thanks for all the comments...more from deep church stuff coming soon.

Markus Watson said...

What the heck, man?! I'm not used to you not posting every day!!