Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Our people die well.....

The following is an email I got form a UM pastor in the KY conference that just found out that she is dieing. She sent it to the pastors of the Covington district in the KY Conference.... and all I could remember is Wesley's quote when he said,

"our people die well"

Here is the email:

"On Apr 9, 2007:

Well, it’s official. I’ve turned the corner from chronically ill to terminally ill. My chronic kidney disease is now diagnosed as renal failure and I have been given a life-expectancy prognosis of less than six months.

I’m 52 years old and I’m dying. Without the assurance of God’s grace and salvation, this news would be devastating. However, if I really believe what I say I believe about God and heaven and eternal life, this is sad, but not scary.

My friends and family weren’t prepared to hear the “H” word – Hospice – but my body has been preparing me for the news for some time now. One of my doctors asked me why I am so brave. I’m not brave, but I am weary and always in pain and ready to go Home. And – thankfully – I have a pretty good idea of what Home will be like.

I’ve officiated at dozens of funerals and at every one I have said something like this: “At 6:03 Sunday morning George became more alive than any of us sitting here today, because he walked out of this life and right into the heart of God.” That had better be true.

Abandoned to His grace and anchored in His love,
The Reverend (name removed)"


I do not know this pastors as well as I would like, but she is in inspiration! Thank you for your honor, sacrifice, joy, and passion in death. You show that relationship with God is the first and foremost when it comes to eternal life, and your helping others to see that it can happen now and in the future.

He is RISEN!!! KUTPs!!!!

3 comments:

Aaron said...

beautiful. i hope it can be also said that our people grieve well. that we would not run from death (or pain or anxiety or fear) but instead lean into it... knowing that he who is in us is greater than he who is in the world. in leaning into this we lean into (and discover) Jesus.

Anonymous said...

How moving!! I love the phrase--"abondoned to his love...etc. " Commiment to believing in our eternal life due to Christ is all the promise we had and need. Praise be to God!! Love, Mom

DGH said...

Amen! Yeah it is just amazing... I was reading an excerpt form some place online when I was trying to find this quote and he was saying that the Methodists were the first to huddle around the one that was dieing and supporting them and how much honor could be found in death. It was a privilege to be at that thinspace moment. And i know that when we did this with my brother it was a holy moment and space! What an honor!