Friday, December 31, 2004

The one about Jay recognizing my voice....

Before I start let me paste Sheila's email from this morning:

Dec 30th mid-morning:

I called for an update this morning and other than receiving insulin for
unstable blood sugar all is the same. I am getting ready to head to the
hospital. Jay's family is here but they are all sick with some sort of bug.
I'm trying to stay clear of them so that I can still see Jay. They are all on
antibiotics and hopefully will be safe to see him in a day or two.

Thanks,
Sheila


Ok, well as Sheila said we are all not feeling too well, but I must admit that I felt great this morning until after the shower loosened all of it back up and then I have the cleansing time each morning, heh. But I got a lot out and felt very good today except for the canker sores I have in my mouth. arrrggg....

We all slept in this morning and then my Dad decided he was going to stay at the house and so my mother and Sheila and I went to the hospital to make the 1st 1hr. visit time of 1:30 pm Eastern. I went in first with Sheila and to tell you the truth Jay looked a lot better than I had 1st thought he would. Now to the normal avg. Joe He would have looked horrible......but I see people in his state and a lot worse in my profession when I go visit them, and for people in his state he looked very good. But it is always hard to talk to someone who is so drugged that they rarely acknowledge your presence, but it sure was good to get to see him smile at Sheila when she joked with him a little and he even turned and faced me a few times to face where my voice was. The nurse said he will not remember anything during this time period, but it is nice to know even in a subconscious state your brother knows your voice, heh. Well, each hour long visiting time my mother and I would spend 30 mins each with him and Sheila would stay the entire time. In between times we would just hang out in the cafe or cafeteria, play UNO, or call family members to find out how they were doing. Over all the day went good, except my Dad did not get to see Jay, but I think he got some much needed rest....something I think I should consider.

But, I held Jay;s hand (after a good washing or two, heh....and Sheila and I would just talk to him telling him how great he was and how good he was being.

The Dr.'s when we first got there were very happy with a chest X-Ray they did because it looked like his lungs were healing up very good, and they were slowly taking him off the breathing tube during the day and I think they got him down to 40 % Oxygen...and I think normal breathing is something like 22% Oxygen. So, his lungs are healing and they think that he should make a complete recovery in his lungs too!!!!!! Great new Great news!!!

So...now I think we will get another day with the tube and maybe one more day in ICU to keep an eye on him and then hopefully back to the Cancer Ward to kick some cancer butt!

They are also talking about the bone marrow transplant form me will probably be several weeks if not months from now...so it looks like I will just be doing lots or pep talking this round, heh.

=================================

Tiffany got to Pitt just fine (other than talking to a crazy guy sitting next to her on one of her flights that said the words, drug traffic, Mexico, kill, bomb, and a few other nice ones...and he would often mumble to himself....but other than Tiffany sitting next to a crazy man her flight was great! She got in around 9:20 pm, and Sheila, momma and I drove to the airport right after Jay's 9-10 visiting hour. We then all proceeded to the nearest WalMart to buy forgotten supplies that people need when they make emergency trips to see their brother/son/brother-in-law. And now we are all settling down for another evening and sleeping in in the morning to do it all over again. I hope to use Jay's computer to write my sermon (or start it) tomorrow...so pray for us all and thank you for your love and care!!!!

Oh I almost forgot... Earl Blair called Sheila on her cell phone this morning as we were pulling into the parking garage....he is one of my heros and what a wonderful man of God....

Ok must go to bed...let me check of Sheila's evening email is ready yet...that she is typing upstairs.....yep here it is:

========================

Dec. 30th evening:

Finally some relief.

Upon visiting today, DG and I were met by the respiratory Doctor so was excited
to tell us the Jay's chest X-ray significantly improved over yesterday and that
they think they will be able to remove him from the ventilator soon. This is
the real first bit of good news. This was wonderful. Today, was a little more
conscience and would actually move a bit and he would open his eyes and every
now and then he would sort of respond to us. One time he tried to smile and he
would turn his head occasionally to see who was speaking. The nurses said that
they don't believe he will remember any of it. They have started reducing the
amount he is requiring from the ventilator and it should be just a day or two
and he will be off of it. They will probably keep him for a short time for
observation in the ICU once he is removed. The Oncologist rounding today came
down and seemed very hopeful too. This was so refreshing since yesterday was
not so. They believe that it was the lymphoma that caused his lung problem
because the sample they took from the bronchial scope contained the cells. His
oncologist said that he believes a full recovery of his lungs and kidneys is
possible with time. This is very good news. Hopefully we'll have more
tomorrow.

Jay is quite famous around the hospital and the Doctors love him. I had three
Doctors come up to me in the café today inquiring about Jay and they are not his
current Doctors. In fact one was a medical resident he had only 1 time months
ago but he left a lasting impression.

We were visited by a friend of ours today we haven't seen in years and it was
very nice to see him. I know Jay is going to be thrilled to see him. Later
that night a friend came to play card with us.
After the 10:00 visiting hour we drove to the airport to pick up Tiffany. Jay's
family is all here and DG and Teresa seem to have beaten there cold but Randy is
still sick and stayed home to rest today.

Well, it's very late and we have another busy day tomorrow and I need to get
some sleep.

Take care everyone,
Sheila.

===========================

Please KUTPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God bless!

No comments: