Monday, January 03, 2005

The one about Jay Cusing out his mother ha ha ha......

Well, today was an eventful day! We went grocery shopping this morning before we left to go see Jay. Then we got to the hospital and Jay still had his breathing tube...but that is understandable considering it takes a Dr.'s orders to take it out and it was a Sunday...and (a fact important in this area) The Steelers were playing a foot ball game. So we stayed around the waiting room because they told us that they would take it out and get Sheila out of the room right after they take it out. Well around 4:45 pm this afternoon they took out the breathing tube and right after they took it out they went and got Sheila. Sheila went in there for a decent time and then 5:00 pm rolled around. I was gone and so Sheila came in to get my Mom to go see him.....(remember this is the moment we have been waiting for the last 7 days for Jay to actually talk to us and not be drugged) then I got tired of waiting around in the waiting room and decided to just go in there to see Jay (they were hogging all the time with him!) When I got there Momma and and Sheila were outside of Jay's room and they looked awkward. I immediately thought something was wrong, and asked them what was going on. Well, apparently Jay coming out of a very long sedation time was still very drugged and the first thing he told the nurses (They asked, "John how are the feeling?") after the tube was out was...."Guacamole". Yeah that is right he asked for a Mexican/Spanish condiment. They they brought in Sheila and she said that he smiled at her! Sheila said it thrilled her to death and then she went over to him and look at him and then he told her something...she did not hear him very good and so she went closer to his mouth and listened better (his voice was raspy and rough...but you can't expect much more) and Jay then told her in his best raspy Western voice, "I'm gonna kill you". Sheila then knew that Jay was either totally with it or he was still on the drugs, and she had a good idea which one.....

Then he started calling for his mother, "Mommmmaaaaaaaaa, Mommmmmaaaaaaaa" so they went and got my mother and she walked in there and He looked at my mom and said, Mommmmaaaaaaaa.....shut up! Then he proceeded to say, "Momma F-You, F-You", he then proceeded to tell everyone that he was going to kick their @$, and a few other choice words, heh.

Through out the entire episode he begged for them to let him out of the bed, and to take these things off of his hands (the restraints they put on his hands to keep him from ripping out his own breathing tube and IV etc....) He then ripped out his own IV and it was then the nurses gave him a sedation shot and he calmed down and went back to sleep. They cleaned up all the blood and then opened back open the curtain and from then on for the rest of the night he would moan a little more and shift his legs but he stayed much quieter and settled back down...

The nurses told him that this was not too different and they have seen it before...but what can you expect, your drugged, tied down to a bed, very week muscles, dry throat, and these people are hovering over you telling you to stay still and they love you...yeah I would freak out too, heh.

But, the good news is the breathing tube is out and he seems to be doing much better. They said that the drug causing the episode could stay in his body for a few more days, so we will just have to get used to it all. But he is well on his way to get back to the Cancer ward and then it will be time to kick some more cancer butt! The Dr.'s also said that they might be looking at getting my stem cells (i.e. bone marrow) while I am here and freezing them, but I am not sure if they would want them with me being sick (I am much better and only cough 6-10 times a day to clear my throat) But we will soon find out I am sure!

I will take a cusing brother wide eyed and mad any day over a brother on a breathing tube, heh. My mother was never suprised and Sheila and her just kind of laughed it off out side the room when I got there. Sheila tried to tell him that he would think this was all funny tomorrow, but Jay told her, "No it WON'T!" heh.

I felt sad for Him, because I can not imagine what it is like and to cuss out your mom like that and not have her take you over her knee must have been impressive, heh But man, I love that guy! He is so sweet and would NEVER do anything like that he is just scared, confused, and disoriented all at the same time...It just has to be hard...I wish I could do a Vulcan Mind-Meld with him and take on the pain just for a few seconds.....I love you Jay!

But all in all ALL Praise honor and glory go out to God for bringing him and us all this far and for the amazing road that god has laid out for him to walk is still beautiful! Thank you God....Thank you!

Well, we all got back here to the house and we played some more UNO this time with Sheila's brother and soon-to-be sister-in-law. We all had a fun time, but needless to say I am VERY tired and I am going to bed!

Thank you all again for all your prayers they are working, but still VERY VERY NEEDED!

==============================

Love yall and here are Sheila's last two emails:

Jan. 2nd Morning:

No news yet this morning. The same old , same old Doctors haven't rounded yet.

Jan. 2nd Evening:

HE IS OFF THE VENTILATOR AND BREATHING FINE ON HIS OWN!!!!!!!!!!!! He is still
in ICU and will be there for the next few days if all goes well.

They removed him today to 4:30 and after that the adventure ensued. He was in a
very groggy state and was very scared. They asked him how he was feeling and he
said "guacamole". I thought the nurse had it wrong but later he asked me for
some guacamole. He was having fits of rage because he was SO confused. He told
me to come closer and he said "I'm gonna kill you". His mom came in and he
responded to her voice positively but if she kept talking he would lash out and
tell her to shut up among other things. He kept saying stop it you guys to the
nurses and then would say and I'm gonna kick you're a**. This was so counter to
Jay's personality and the nurse said it is not unusual. That many patients
respond this way because they are so frightened. Well, I think we all would be
if we woke up in a strange place, tied to a bed with a catheter and tube up your
nose, not to mention the oxygen mask and other monitors attached to him. He
recognized me as his wife and knew how old he was but not much else made sense.
He squirmed so much that he ripped out one IV. He had a really hard day. They
had to re-sedate him with what they call conscious sedation to keep him from
hurting himself. The nurse said it will take several days for the groggy
sedation to wear off. I felt so helpless because he was hard to understand and
thrashed around so much.

I know it was a hard step for him today but he will be so much better for it.
I'll write more tomorrow.

Thanks,
Sheila

====================

Love yall, and thank you sooo mcu for the thoughts and prayers to get him this far..... so lets all please KUTPs!!!!!!!!!! Amen!

No comments: