Tuesday, June 22, 2004

The Wesleyan Covenant Prayer

I pray this prayer everyday and I thought you might like to have it to print off for you to tape on your computer screen or bathroom mirror or where ever you can see it every morning.

Now, a word of warning...."warning".... no seriously. This is the hardest prayer I have ever found to really pray it and mean it. So, get read for your Gluteus Maximus (and Minimus for that matter (except that it is more of your hip than Maximus)) to be kicked if you really earnestly honestly pray this prayer. But I promise that your devotional life to God will do wonders when you can really pray this prayer...BTW: I still have a hard time praying this prayer totally honest and earnestly after praying it every morning for the past 5 years. Anyway, I will try to get you all a devo soon, but this will have to tied you over until I do it.... BTW... I have modified it for modern tongue (even though all tongues are kind of old school anyway, heh)

I am no longer my own, but Yours.
Put me to what You will, rank me with whom You will.
Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed by You, or laid aside for You.
Exalted for You or brought low for You.
Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily give all things to Your pleasure and disposal.
And now, o glorious and blessed God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
You are mine, and I am Your's. So be it!
And the convenant which I have made on earth, let it be ratified in heaven. Amen!


This covenant prayer is part of an entire service that Wesley wrote and would normally have his church do at the first of every year. For some excerpts from the service you can go HERE. Or you can read the entire covenant worship service in the United Methodist Book of Worship (copyright 1992) pages 291-294. You can find a UM Book of Worship on the desk of any UM Pastor (or at least you should find one there) or at any local Cokesbury Bookstore

Well, have fun with that one for the rest of your life, and let be able to grow closer to God and nothing else...Especially our selfish desires)!

Take care and God bless yall!

No comments: