Friday, June 18, 2004

Well I used 911 for the first time today....

Yep thats right 911 was called by me today, so let me tell you what happened:

Well Tiffany's parents came in lasat night and one thing that Eddie (her father) and I always try to do when he comes up to Santa Fe is fishing. Well, we went to Cowles and then followed a one lane Forest road to the Penchuela Creek that feeds into the Pecos River. for a crude map go

Well it is amazingly gorgousHERE!

Check out the phone photos I took up there:

This one is of the mountians not great but decient for a phone camera:



This one is of a I really think 5 story tree. This picture does not do it justice, but it wil have to do:



and then finally you can see here the beaver ponds that I fished in here:



Ok back to the 911 story. Well I started fishing the beaver ponds and then Eddie said he wanted to go down stream to fish it, and I said OK. Well, I knew we had to be back at my house by 7:15 (about an hour away from where we were fishing) so around 5:30 I started heading back to the car. Well, I got to the car and Eddie was not there, so I then just packed up my fishing stuff and took down my fly rod and reel. Everything was packed away and so I just sat in the car waiting for my father-in-law. Well, after reading everything in the car, and listening to about 45 mins. of NPR, I decided that I would go looking for Papa Eddie. Well I took the trail back to the beaver ponds and looked for him there thinking that he probably went back to the popint that I last saw him... No luck.

So... then I went back to the car thinking he just took the stream to the car instead of the trail (which was higher up on the mtn, and you really could not see the stream from it). Got back to the car and nothing. Then I started getting a little worried. So I decided to tell one of the people camping to look for a guy that had a brigh orange Chicago Bears cap on and tell him I was coming, but that I was out looking for him. Well, this time I put my wading boots back on and decided to walk the river looking for him. Well I walked the river back to the beaver pond and still nothing. So I took the high trail back to te parking lot and still no Papa Eddie at the car!

Then I decided that I would tell the people caming that if he comes back that I left to go get the Forest service to look for him. So, after giving some backpackers a lift to the main road I found the nearest cabin and drove up in their drive way and asked if I could use thier phone to call the forest rangers to start a serach and rescue. The family in the home finanly allowed me to make the call and I called 911 and told them who I was (name, social number, home phone, etc...) and description of Eddie (name, what wearing, age, ect...) Then the State Police (who I was talking to) told me they would call me back after looking at a map and started calling the serach and rescue team members to deploy them to look for Eddie.

They told me they would call me back and so while I was waiting for them to call back I called Tiffany at home to tell her I lost her Dad and that the sercae and rescue were coming to find him.....She was not home...so I called her cell phone and got her. I told her crying my eyes out (actually just for the record it was just really hot and my eyes were sweating) that I lost her dad and that the search and rescure team were coming to lok for him. Then she told me that he was in Pecos, NM. @ a country store. Aparently he got lost and went all the way down the strewat to where it met the Pecos and then he caught a ride into Pecos (20 miles away from where we parked). Needless to say I was relieved and VERY tired. I called 911 back and told them to call off the search and rescue from my father-in-law and then I drove all the way to Pecos to find Tiffany and he dad in her car (she drove up from Santa Fe when she heard where he was). I hugged them both and we all went home to eat Chicken Marsalla (her Mom was making while everything was going down)

It was a very eventful day! And needless to say I think I will always take 2 2-way Radios and maybe a GPS Device with us the next time I go fishing with anyone! Man, this was very scary and I am so happy that Jesus listened to my prayers.

Well, take care everyone and good night! I am sorry I do not have an update for you on Jay, but I woke up too late this moring and got back home to late this evening to call him. Please keep up in your thoughts. Love yall!

Oh, I did catch 3 8 inch trout and one 14 inch in the beaver ponds and Eddie did not catch any, heh. God bless you all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey DG next time i decide it is time to get a make over i'll remember you!
Reese